I have been working on my turkey left over pot pie recipe for about 6 seasons. My center is always delish but in 2012 I achieved gourmet level flakiness!!! I doubt the fact that I used organic ingredients made the difference but I like using ingredients with safer or more premium sources for my family. Here is my recipe:
The Ultimate Buttery Double Flaky Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used King Arthur Organic Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Himalayan Sea Salt)
- 1 cup butter (I used organic Woodstock unsalted), chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ice cold water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and freezer while working on pie filling. The key to a flaky crust is keeping the dough cold and not over working it.
- Roll bottom dough to fit a pie plat or baking dish. Place crust in pie plate or baking dish. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides. Place in refrigerator and roll out top crust, roll over pin and refrigerate.
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots (organic), diced
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley (organic)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (organic)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 3 potatoes (farmer's market) cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey (natural turkey)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Frozen cut green beans
- Green Onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion, celery, carrots, parsley, oregano, green onion, green beans, and salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the bouillon and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in the potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the turkey and flour. Add the milk, and heat through. Stir the turkey mixture into the vegetable mixture, and cook until thickened. Cool slightly, then pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Roll out the top crust, and place on top of filling. Flute edges, and make 4 slits in the top crust to let out steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.